Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I AM 24 British Citizen who is about to make a decision to…

Customer Question
Hello, I AM 24 British Citizen...
I AM 24 British Citizen who is about to make a decision to move to the U.S. Now, my Great, Great Grand mother was a born and raised U.S citizen which made my Grandmother who was not born in the U.S a Citizen. I am hoping by the grace of God if I can apply for Citizenship.
Regards,
K Williams
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
12/9/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney replied 7 months ago
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if it is bad news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

Unfortunately, the chances of that happening are very slim. Generally speaking, you have a chance through a grandparent that was a U.S. Citizen and resided in the U.S. long enough, but if the grandparent did not reside in the U.S. long enough, then the chances are very small. Take a look at this story:

https://www.shusterman.com//citizenshipthroughparents/citizenshipthroughparents2

After you read the story, let me know your date of birth and the dates of birth of each of your parents and grandparents and if your grandparents and parents ever lived in the U.S. and for how long.

Awesome, waiting.

Please review the article. Thank you.

Ok ao its my great-great grand mother who was born and raised her whole life in the St.John U.S.V.I, her daughter, whom is my great grand mother who wasnt born in the u.s however obtain citozenship through her Mom. She moved and lived in the U.S for aprroximately 3 years and even bought a house.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look good. What year was your grandmother born? And how old was your great grandmother when she lived in the U.S.?

My great-Grandmother was born in 1949. (U.S Citizen) Great-great grand was born in 1918.

But when was your grandmother born? And how old was she when she lived in the U.S.?

1949 she had to be in her thirties or ate 20s.

We need to clear things up. You said your great-great grandmother was born in 1918 and that your great grandmother was born in 1949, but then you say your grandmother was born in 1949. So who was born in 1949? Was it your grandmother or your great grandmother?

Born 1889

That doesn't make sense. That would mean your great grandmother was born before your great great grandmother. Let me see, could be be that your great great grandmother was born in 1889, your great grandmother was born in 1918, and your grandmother was born in 1949?

I confused you, I sent 2 files. Please open them up. Letticia Sprauve is my Great- Great G

Those don't give the actual year or birth. They give an estimate.

I want to work in the U.S like yesterday. Its so hard here after the storms Irma and Maria, however i want to do everything the right way. What should I do. Which step should I take first.
I dont have the death certificates.

Unfortunately, I don't think you qualify for U.S. Citizenship. For your mother to have gotten U.S. Citizenship, your grandmother would have had to most likely live in the U.S. 10 years before your mother was born. If your mother was born in 1986 or later, then her mother would have had to live in the U.S. for at least 5 years before your mother was born. Since you said she only lived 3 years in the U.S., it doesn't look like you qualify. Sorry.

There are generally 5 avenues to obtain U.S. Lawful Permanent Residency. They are through family, through employment, through Asylum or refugee process, through investment, or through the lottery.

For family, it must be immediate family such as U.S. Citizen spouse or U.S. Citizen children over 21 in order to be able to come immediately. U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident parents or U.S. Citizen siblings, or Lawful Permanent Resident spouses can also help you, but the wait for that is about 4 to 12 years or so.

Through employment, you would have to generally prove that you would not be taking away a job from a U.S. worker and the less experience and education you have, the harder that is to do.

Through Asylum or Refugee process, you must prove that you will be persecuted, tortured or killed if you stay in your country and that this will happen to you because of your nationality, race, religion, political opinion, or membership in a particular social group, not because you would run the same risk as anyone else in your country to fall victim to a crime or bad economic conditions.

Through investment, you are looking at generally $1,000,000.00 for a residency, or $500,000.00 in an area designated as a high-employment area, plus in both cases the investment has to create 10 or more jobs for U.S. workers.

And through the lottery, it would be very difficult to win one of the 50,000 visas available per year and some countries do not qualify.

Here is a link to the different forms to get a green card:

http://www.uscis.gov/greencard

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Thats not true. All my Great Grand Mom Kids got their papers except my Grand Dad. My Family is really from St.John. they live over there all now.

So your grandmother is a U.S. Citizen, but how long did she live in the U.S. before your mother was born?

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Not satisfied.

Ok. Why are you not satisfied? I cannot lie to you. It is not my fault if the law does not have an easy solution for this situation. I am only the messenger. Please do not blame me for being just the messenger.

You havent read through all that I have written, which is why your answeres are inadequate

Believe me, I have read through everything you have written and I have explained what the law is. Please do not get frustrated with me because you are trying to get U.S. Citizenship through a great-grandparent which doesn't normally happen. I am trying to help you, but I do NOT get a salary to be here, I do NOT get an hourly wage, and I do not get compensated per question. I ONLY get compensated if you are satisfied and that's only a small part of your deposit. So believe me, I don't want to have spent all this time reviewing and explaining things to you for you to go away angry because then I get nothing. So it only helps me if I can help you. If not, I wasted my time and effort, and on a weekend, no less. Do you understand?

Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney replied 6 months ago

Hello. I hope you had a Merry Christmas. Did you determine if my answers were correct?