Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I came to the US 4 years ago on Student visa and got married…

Customer Question
Hi, I came to...

Hi, I came to the US 4 years ago on Student visa and got married last year to a US citizen. We applied for green card in June and now we are waiting for our interview. Recently we got some issues mainly about him being addicted to weed and also not working at all which make it difficult for me to take care of all the expenses. I feel like he is starting to take advantage of me and always threatens me that he will get divorce. I'm wondering if I apply for divorce is there still anyway for me to get my legal status back?

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

Yes we applied for petition after my marriage and we are waiting for interview

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
12/8/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Bill Attorney, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Bill Attorney

Dear Customer ,

Thank You for posting your immigration law question today. I'm attorney Bill an experienced immigration attorney assisting you today.

From your description a s a beneficiary of an I-130 relative green card petition you would need to follow through with the interview and marriage to get permanent residency.

A divorce application will prematurely terminate your petition based upon marriage to a US citizen.

If your F visa status is still current the you don't need a new visa to stay in the US whereas if you let your status expire due to your i-485 application you will need to leave the US and apply for a new visa outside the US.

We are here to help, so please follow up with me as required.

In return remember to rate positively today.

I'm an independent legal expert and rely on your positive feedback today to get a credit.

You do this by rating 5*****, 4**** or better.

So I hope you rate FIVE STARS today. before your exit.

Thank You

Attorney Bill

Dear Customer ,

I would like to follow up your question to which I posted a reply a few days ago.

Do you need any further information ?

Happy to help.

Just a reminder, I'm an independent legal expert and rely on your positive feedback to get a credit for my time.

It's a reciprocal service.

So I hope you rate FIVE STARS today for the help received.

Thanks

Attorney Bill