Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Can I file for N400 while my i751 case is still pending? I…

Customer Question
Can I file for...

Can I file for N400 while my i751 case is still pending ?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I had a traffic ticket that was dismissed

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
12/5/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience. Please allow me some time to review your question and to prepare a response.

As I am doing so, keep in mind that a normal part of dealing with complicated legal issues is that you might experience some delays. Please do not opt me out expecting a faster response. This will only result in further delays. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.

Can you give me a timeline of events?

OK
03/21/2015 - RECIEVED cr 1
12/21/2016 filed for removal of conditions i751
12/21/2017 - will complete 3 years so wanted to file 90 days before that date 12/21/2017 for n400 while the i751 case is still pending

Did you file it jointly with your spouse?

Do you have evidence of the ongoing marriage?

Do you have evidence that you are still in valid permanent resident status?

I filed it with my us citizen spouse.
yes we have proof .
yes I have a stamp on my passport
valid until Sep 2018

Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you get your answers, you will be asked to give a rating - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated. This is important because this is how I credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

ANSWER: Yes, go ahead and file the N-400 when you are eligible to do so. I have seen cases like this wherein they do the I-751 interview and the N-400 interview one right after the other. There is no prohibition in the law that does not allow you to do this.

I hope that answers your questions. Please remember to give me credit for doing my job by clicking on 4 or 5 stars at the top of your screen.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going. I see you have reviewed my answer but I have not received credit for it. Remember that the rating is not based on the outcome you wanted or desired, but instead, on my service to you. Negative ratings are reserved for Experts who are rude or unprofessional.

Do you need more help?

Thank you!

Expert James
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer