Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am a Canadian nurse who has been working with a TN status…

Customer Question
I am a Canadian nurse...
I am a Canadian nurse who has been working with a TN status in Florida since 2011. I have a Canadian incorporated company that owes a lot of money to the Quebec and Canada governments. Part of thoses will be transferred to my personal taxes. My accountant is telling me to file for bankruptcy. I told him I have not declared my American income to Canada since I workd here since I did not know. He said he will produce the addendums for late taxes and the best solution after all that would be to file for bankruptcy since I will owe too much money. Can any of this affect my Tn visa status or my future ability to be able to obtain a green card? I am currently engaged to an American and am planning to move here.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
12/5/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin,
 replied 4 months ago

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

replied 4 months ago

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if it is bad news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

I cannot give tax advice, but as long as you do not engage in tax fraud or are convicted of a crime, it should not negatively effect you keeping and maintaining TN status nor should it negatively impact you getting a green card. Similarly, bankruptcy would not normally negatively impact either.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

My accountant is in the process of declaring my American income. The fact of not having declared them, could that be considered fraud?
Immigration Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Sir/Madam,

I am concerned that I have not been given credit for doing my job today. Please remember that I don't get credit for doing my job if you do not give me a positive rating. Kindly do so by going to the top of this page and clicking on 4 or 5 stars. Thank you!

Unfortunately, as that is not an immigration question and we have a specific category for tax issues, I am prohibited by the rules of this site from answering that. You'll need to discuss that issue with a tax expert. I'm sorry about that, but this is not something over which I have any control.

Please do not forget that positive rating now. Thank you!

Hi there,

My apologies for posting a response here. Somehow, this question ended up on my question list. Please ignore any request or communications from me. You are working with Guillermo on this question. He will continue to do so.

Expert James
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer