Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I have a question in regards to my wife and I. I am a

Customer Question
Hi! I have a...

Hi! I have a question in regards ***** ***** wife and I. I am a professional tennis player admitted in the USA until 2019. My wife is with me on a B2 visa. I have travelled to the USA like this before. As she is my spouse (before cohabitant partner) there is an option for her to be admitted for 1 year even on B1 visa. She was admitted like this before. This time when she entered to U.S. the officer only admitted her for 6 months on B2 - even though she showed him the marriage certificate and documentation that she is travelling with me, asking for 1 year (maximum stay) on B2 possible. She was only granted 6 months.

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

This means that she either needs to file an I-539 for an extension of her stay or leave and re-enter US (but not only to Canada or Mexico). My status is non-immigrant on P1 HEr status is currently admitted in US on B2 for 6 months only

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No. But I see our options extension of stay I-539 or leaving and reentering is that correct?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think that's it. Will he/she have this info

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
12/5/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience. Please allow me some time to review your question and to prepare a response.

Hi, Thank you!

Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you get your answers, you will be asked to give a rating - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated. This is important because this is how I credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

ANSWER: She can either apply for an extension of B2 status, she can leave the US and come back (although this is a risk since she would still be subject to the discretion of the inspecting officer at the border), or she can apply for a change of status to P4 status. The latter is my recommendation since you are on P1 status.

P4 status is the dependent status of a P1 status holder. Since she is your spouse, she is eligible for that status.

I hope that answers your questions. Please remember to give me credit for doing my job by clicking on 4 or 5 stars at the top of your screen.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Expert James
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer