Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Thank you let me draft my question give me 2 min. I am on…

Customer Question
Hi there. Thank you...

Hi there. Thank you let me draft my question give me 2 min

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

I am on H1B visa and my husband has H4 Visa as well as EAD based off of my status.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

My question is i just filed for divorce can i revoke his h4 it was divorce coz of cruelty

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My divorce has not been finalized but has been filed

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
12/5/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience. Please allow me some time to review your question and to prepare a response.

Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you get your answers, you will be asked to give a rating - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated. This is important because this is how I credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

ANSWER: Technically, you do not "revoke" his H4, the USCIS does that. And technically, the minute the divorce is finalized, his H4 status is terminated by law, since the H4 requires him to be married to an H1B visa holder.

So once you have the divorce decree, you need to write a letter to the USCIS office address listed on your I-797 approval notice. In that letter, inform the USCIS that your divorce is finalized and provide them with a copy of the divorce decree, a copy of your spouse's I-797 approval notice for the H4, if you have it, and a copy of your I-797 approval notice. This way they match the records to make the termination of his status official on the record.

I also would call the USCIS directly and inform the representative of the same.

I hope that answers your questions. Please remember to give me credit for doing my job by clicking on 4 or 5 stars at the top of your screen.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!