Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am a US citizen military service member who is married to…

Customer Question
Hello, I am a US citizen...
I am a US citizen military service member who is married to a my wife who is Thai. She is now also a US citizen. The problem in question is we are trying to apply for her son who is from a previous marriage and who she has full custody of a certificate of citizenship so he can become a us citizen. According to law he is considered my step-son because I have not adopted him. He has a green card already, SSN number, and is listed on my page 2 and has been raised by us together since 2013. The issue immigration has is that we are stationed overseas in Japan but on a US military base. His mother filed for his certificate after she received her citizenship but immigration is denying it because they said she is outside the US and they said she can't use me being in the military because I am only his step father and not his adoptive father or biological one. The said the Department of the State has jurisdiction over applications abroad. She obtained her Citizenship from the state of Florida and I have been a Florida resident all my life. Where do we go from this point as we have 30 days to appeal this decision. Is the government saying that I have to force my family to split up and have them live in the states while I am stuck to continue to serve my country overseas simply so my step son can become a US citizen? How is that right? They have been here with me due to my military obligation and yet the military recognizes him as my son. He is listed as my dependent, goes to school, we file and pay taxes with him but yet there telling me because his mother and him are living outside the US he doesn't qualify? Even though that is not by choice but due to my military obligation and yet they keep giving me orders to Japan which is where we have lived since 2013. We are very frustrated and are looking for help.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
12/5/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 4 months ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Are you on active duty?

I have been in the Navy for 20 years and 5 months now
I haven't heard anything back in a few days. I was wondering if there was anyway someone could help me with this situation.
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 3 months ago

So sorry for the delay. Your question was lost.

Do you have a copy of the document that she received denying your step son's citizenship?

Ely, Counselor at Law