Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Trying to file I-485 through marriage(my spouse is a US

Customer Question
Trying to...

Trying to file I-485 through marriage(my spouse is a US Citizen), but have I-94 lapse previously, entered legally(on H1B) but H1B visa lapsed due to employer screw up, recently got H1B re-instated but not I-94, can I still file for I-485(adjustment of status) through marriage...?

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

Officially am on H1B but my stay has expired, so am overstaying now, no pending applications yet with USCIS.. But am planning to file Waiver of Inadmissibility soon with USCIS.. Meanwhile before even filing for the Waiver, can I just go ahead and send in my I-485 through spouse...?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes, have a lawyer who is willing to file for my waiver to re-instate the lapsed I-94(over stay issue)..

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

But not retained him yet.. Yes, basically I want to sile for I-485(adjustment of status) and get approved without leaving the country if possible(in spite of my expired I-94).. Ok fine..

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/4/2017
Immigration Lawyer: JustAnswer, Arbitrator replied 7 months ago
JustAnswer
JustAnswer, Arbitrator
Thanks for posting your question. We're matching you to the right Expert, who will call you at the number you provided. Please leave any new details below.
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney replied 7 months ago
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney
Phone call session started
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 7 months ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** and I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. Did you request a phone call or did you want a reply here?

Had requested a phone call...!

I do not see that the request went through. Can you check on your end?

He called but couldn't hear anything, tried to call him back, but it was general "JustAsk" numbber, maybe can just chat with lawyer right here...?

I can send you the offer again.

Can you give me his/her number so can call him/her if we get disconnected...?

I do not know whose number you are talking about. I am the immigration attorney.

Ok if we get disconnected like last time, how to call you back...?

I am not the one who called you. Not sure who it was. I am trying to resolve it so I can call you. It's not letting me send you a new offer.

That's very strange, why is it not letting you send me the new offer...? Would it be better to just chat here(since the site has already charged me I think)...?

Sure, whatever you prefer.

Or we could talk on phone also, but maybe better to just get answer here, since we had problem with phone reception yesterday...?

You would have to start a new question post and state FOR JEN at the top. I can't answer you here because I will not receive credit since you chose only phone call. Sorry, I confirmed this with customer service.

In that case(to save time and maybe avoid going through whole process again), maybe we could try phone call once again, if ok with you...?(Else could start new question and state "For You" as you mentioned)..

Unfortunately there's no option for me to call you here from here. The only way would be to start a new question post with my name :( I'm sorry

Ok let me try doing that now..
Tried that(posted question again), but now it wants to charge me $38...!

You can contact customer service and ask for a refund for your first question. But yes questions on the website average for about $40. Remember it's a consultation with an attorney and all follow up questions you need included. Most consultations are about $100 with an attorney.

SOrry am bit confused now between who was my attorney and who did I pay...?!
How to rectify this am thinking...?
since am kind of confused as to what has happened here...?

Pradeep, we spoke over the phone and you asked for a refund. This is not good. What happened?

I think issue was that I had posted question on another web-site also(JustTIA.com) and was corresponding with different lawyer on this site(Jen), and when I got call from you I confused it with previous site where I hd posted same question, meanwhile Jen was saying that she couldn't get through to me and so never had call with her, then when I saw charge on my account I thought I hadn't spoken to Jen so where did charge come from...?! I hadn't realized that you had also called me from this web-site where I had been corresponding with Jen and had been expecting a call from her all along...!
Maybe I can talk to customer support so they can re-credit you for call...?

She shouldn't have said that she couldn't get through. When an expert involved in a Q&A session does not respond to a customer's call request within 5 minutes, that call request becomes available to any expert online at the moment. So when she didn't respond to you within 5 minutes, it popped up on my screen and I accepted the phone call. So that's what happened. But sure, if you could email *****@******.***, that would be really helpful. I will also let them no on my end. I sincerely ***** *****

let me do that now..

Thank you!

Just emailed them, they should be taking care of it now..

Thank you so much! If you need anything else, you can always come here and post a reply and you would not be charged again. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!

Customer support just emailed me today morning that they have credited you back for call...!

Thank you so much! I sincerely ***** *****!

Had quick last question, should I include latest H1B approval notice in my application(although it says in it that I-94 not extended)...? It's hard to even make out if they have asked for it or not...:-(...! Have included all required docs otherwise like passport copy, previous valid H1B copy, etc..

Your current status isn't important if you are getting your Residency through marriage to a U.S. Citizen. They will be most interested that your last entry was legal and you were inspected.

Then am thinking will exclude H1B copies from application completely..

Ok.

It does not allow me to rate the conversation(as am trying to do so)...?
Also before opt out had very last question, since I went out of status(for 7 years now), I don't have to file waiver(of inadmissibility) form with I-485 application if am right...?

Supposedly, I was already compensated. But Pradeep, how can you guarantee me it is the last question. That's what you said last time. Doesn't it really depend on what my answer is?

No this would be last for sure, if you're ok with it you could answer otherwise also it will be ok, no issues at all..

I was kidding with you. It's hard to joke online. Anyway, you do not have to file a waiver if you originally entered the U.S. legally and just overstayed as long as that original visa was not a K-1, K-3, C-1/D (crewman) or J-1 subject to 212(e).

Thanks, I see..

My pleasure.