Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

If one was applying for the citizenship and got a divorce…

If one was applying for...
If one was applying for the citizenship and got a divorce during the process and she is under the 5 years span, what will happens to her application?
12/4/2017
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Unfortunately the application would likely be denied because you must still be married at the time of your interview. If you are divorced, you are supposed to provide the divorce decree. To make it easier, the person can just withdraw the application once they're divorced if they have not been called in or they can wait and let them know at the interview. Then they can apply again when they reach the 5 years.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney