Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am engaged to a Norwegian that lives in Ghana if we get…

Customer Question
I am engaged to...

I am engaged to a Norwegian that lives in Ghana if we get married in norway is that Marriage legal in the united states as far as my legal matters here such as my banks my social security we would live in Ghana never expect to live in the united states

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

NH

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/4/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

As long as the marriage is legal in Norway, the U.S. should recognize the marriage.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

What if we get married in Ghans
What if we get married in Ghana would that be legal in the states

Same thing. Generally speaking, the U.S. would recognize any marriage that is legally effective in any other country as long as it is not against public policy. Here is an official link:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/while-abroad/marriage-abroad.html

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.