Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

IMMIGRATION

Customer Question
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
I have a question about I 539
12/4/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney replied 7 months ago
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if it is bad news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

What would you like to know about the I-539?

Hello, I am from Ecuador. I was the last 2 years (2015-2016) as student in USA. Then I went back to my country and I need to take the USMLE Exam (for International Medical License) which are 4 exams. I arrived to US with a tourist visa B1 ON FEBRUARY 20, 2017. I took the first exam on April and for the other I have to wait until an free spot for the appoint. I was not able to get an appoint until sept 2017.

Ok. And I assume you filed an I-539 before your stay expired?

I had to leave US August 19, 2017 but I asked for extend (Form I539). I took my second exam on September 5. I didn't leave US because i was waiting for the answering from the US Citizenship and immigration services. I received a letter from then 2 days ago.
They asked me to send more papers that support my financial resources, evidence that i took my exam, vacation / leave of absence from my job in my country and intent to depart US.

Ok. You had permission to stay until when? You filed the I-539 when? You left the U.S. when?

I arrived to US February 20, 2017. I filled the I539 August 4. I supposed to leave after 6 month from my first day of arriving (February 20,2017) so I supposed to leave August 19,2017. I am still here and the answer from the immigration service is requesting more papers.

And on the I-539, you asked to stay until what time? And if they asked you to send papers, you know what to do. So what questions do you have for me?

The point is that at that time I asked to stay until september 14, 2017 and i didn't leave because i didn't get any answer from them. My questions and why i am looking for an experience advice is because I still have to take the other exam and i am planing to take February or march 2018. I want to know what is the best option for me in order to avoid any further problem with immigration

The problem is that I seriously doubt they will let you stay longer than one full year maximum. I assume you still have not left the U.S.?

These are the paper that they sent me. Please give me an advice about my next step.
i am still here (US)

Well, will you be able to take the last exam before February 19th, 2018? Also, how are you able to live in the U.S. since you cannot work?

My father is the person who is supporting me all this time. About the exam, I am planning take it on March. Is there any problem for me if I leave US in the beginning of February (02/08/2018) and I return to US on March,2018?
hello, are you there?

It's a big problem. You are spending too much time in the U.S. Better for you to leave the U.S. now and come back in March because even if they approved your I-539, they will not approve it for longer than February 19th. So I think you have the following options:

1) Respond to the RFE and hope that you get the I-539 approved, but if they don't let you stay for longer than February 19, 2018, then you can try to file another I-539 but they will not approve that one, but with the understanding that you will be denied but that's fine as long as you leave right after you take the exam.

2) Leave the U.S. now and abandon the I-539 but come back in March for the exam bringing proof of the exam and such.

Just understand that whatever you do, you probably will not be able to come back to visit the U.S. for awhile.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Can I respond to the RFE with all the information they are asking me and also tell them that I took the exam and that i didn't leave the US because I was waiting their answer. And that I will book a fight for my return on February 8/2/2017. And I won't tell then anything about my other exam.

You can try that, but like I said, they won't give you longer than February 19th, 2018. Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.

Hello I have a questions

You disappeared for over a week. I will answer a few more questions for you, but please do not forget that positive rating because it is the only way the website will compensate me. So what else would you like to know?

In the paper I sent you, They are asking me for a prove that I will leave the country. Did I need already the flight ticket? When should be the last day I can go out the country?

Yes, the airline ticket is proof that you have made arrangements to go back home. Regardless, the maximum that you can stay it February 19, 2018.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see the stars or smiley faces, please scroll to the top of the page to see them or click on my name and they should come out. Also, we do NOT finish just because it says "Rate to Finish" or something like that. Your question does NOT close and you can continue to ask questions without additional charge on the same question thread even after you leave a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding!

Hello! You disappeared again. I'm just following up with you again to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney replied 6 months ago