Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My son is sponsoring his foreign wife and I'm a co-sponsor…

Customer Question
Hello--, My son is sponsoring his...
Hello--,
My son is sponsoring his foreign wife and I'm a co-sponsor for him. I filed I-864a form, as we live together. My past w2's were accordingly $33000, $38000, $36000 and this year it will be $38000. My household members are 3 people (My husband, my son and me). I filed my taxes jointly with my husband but I want only me to be a co-sponsor for my son and don't include my husband at all.
Question #1- Can I be the only co-sponsor even if I filed taxes with my husband?
Question #2 Does my husband required to send the same I-864a form? (pls note: he doesn't want to be a co- sponsor if there is no need)
Question #3 In I-864a form where it says Federal income tax info. I need to provide total income for 2016 tax year- what should I write here? My Wages from my W2 or the joint income number from 1040? Thank you beforehand
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
12/4/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 7 months ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

1. Yes, you alone can be the Joint Sponsor even if you files jointly with your husband.

2. No, your husband does not need to send the I-864a. Only you need to fill it out and end it.

3. For this you must write the total household gross income, including your husband's. He will not be a joint sponsor but you must include his income because it appears in the tax return. In the other question, Part 3 question 2 where it asks individual income, you can write what appears in your W-2.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."