Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

The man I am married to is from another country. When he…

Customer Question
The man I am...

The man I am married to is from another country. When he moved into the house next door, as my neighbor, not as a husband, I realized I had been used and scammed. He married me to get into America. Now he is a Parkinson's Disease patient and refuses to discuss his returning to his country. We are still married, but it is a lousy setup. I feel he is using me big time as an American citizen, and he definitely looks on me as his "caretaker", now and in the future. How do I get out of this messy marriage he manipulated me into, and get my life back? I do not want to be his caretaker. I am an older woman and am recovering from a stroke. We had two houses, so he is in what he calls a "sweet situation". Help me please? Kathryn Abbott, TN

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Tennessee

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No, I am just getting over the stroke, and he has all the checkbooks at his house next door. He watches me like a hawk. We do not have conjugal relations, he just uses my house as a 'swinging door' to keep track of me.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Can I divorce him and start wheels rolling for his deportation back to New Zealand. The tension between us is a killer. I want him gone.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
12/3/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 7 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

How long have you been married?

How long how you been living in separate households?

Thank you for your cooperation.

I am sorry too.
Married 1986.
Seperate households about 2-3 years.
I want a divorce, sell the second house (we were supposed to, but when we bought a double wide and put it by our older stick built house, and I moved into the DW, he got ugly, dug in, refused to leave the old house) and I began to understand I had been MANIPULATED BIG TIME. He is in America on my dime and has NO intentions of being married, living with me, or leaving America. He is one slick dude. I need advice bad. My email is: ***@******.***(###) ###-####
I am on social security, and he controls it. Typing is the best I can do.

Thank you for the information.

Kindly let me know when you have finished posting so that I can begin the review of your entire posts and prepare my response.

Thank you for your cooperation.

I am sorry once more for your difficulties.

Unfortunately, if you have been married since 1986, but started living separate apart just two to three years ago, it would be very difficult to argue that he married you for Green Card and thus he should be deported for marriage fraud. It is too late to make a case of marriage fraud at this time, regrettably.

As for your Social Security payments, you should go to the local office of Social Security Administration to change your direct deposit instructions and put the money in new bank account. First, you need to open a new bank account and provide that information to Social Security Administration. For more information, click here.

If you want out of the marriage, you can file for divorce at your local Courthouse and ask the Court to divide your marital assets. Tennessee is equitable distribution state. So, the marital assets would be divided by the Court after review of factors such as contribution of the parties to acquisition of the assets, age and health of the parties. The distribution may be 100/0, 90/10 , 80/20, 70/30, 60/40 in your favor or 50/50.

The Court may also award you alimony or no alimony at all.

You can obtain divorce forms at the Courthouse in the Clerk's office or online (divorce forms with no children). Click here for divorce forms with children. You may also retain the services of a local divorce Attorney to assist you with the case. You can use the following sites to find local Attorneys:

Lawyers.com

Justia.com

Findlaw.com

Best wishes,

A positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.