Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My fiancé was stopped because she had a gold bar in her

Customer Question
Hi, my fiancé was...

Hi, my fiancé was stopped because she had a gold bar in her luggage. The officials want 10% of its value in order for her and the gold to be released.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My fiancé is from Ghana and was traveling here to the US.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/2/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. I'm working on your question now.

People who ask a question like this -- and there are so many that you would think that every woman from Ghana is an heiress -- are the unwitting victim of a Ghana romance scam. I already know that you've never met your so-called fiancee, and if you can upload a photo of her with your reply, I may even be able to tell you whose photo she's using to try to fleece you out of your money.

This is how the scam works, and I already know that it will look familiar to you, with small variations, of course:

You meet someone online who claims to have a fortune in gold as an inheritance in Ghana. She falls in love with you at warp speed and seduces you into thinking you will share her fortune.

Frequently, the so-called heiress claims that her inheritance is contingent on her finding the right man to marry. And then, suddenly, though you've never met her in your life and have no idea if she is real or not, tag, you're it. You're told that you're the right man for her and that it's your job to receive her inheritance so that you and she can together when she comes over to meet you.

She may even tell you that she has put the gold into your name and sent you so-called high court orders to that effect. This scam comes complete with phony documents that are not remotely legal, with phony barristers and phony customs agents. Sometimes, there's even a phony proxy marriage ceremony. All of this is nonsense, and all you really have are a team of scammers working hard to find ways to convince you that you're obligated to wire money to Ghana to help get this gold. And more money. And more money. And more money. All to get gold that doesn't really exist to woo a woman who doesn't really exist either.

Ghana is a very poor third world country, but the country does have gold mines. Gold can be shipped from Ghana, but the government strictly controls how, when and to whom. One must make arrangements with the government to send gold abroad. It all must go through Ghana's PMMC, a government agency that regulates gold exports. The government vets both the gold and the buyer and then ships it to the purchaser through an exporter licensed by the Ghana government.

In short, only the Ghana government can export gold and the government itself must send it through a vetted exporter to a US buyer. Any other way of removing gold from Ghana is considered smuggling, which can be a capital offense over there. If this were real, your girlfriend wouldn't be asked for money. She'd have been arrested for smuggling and you couldn't buy her out with 10% of the value of the gold. This is just a way to get you to wire money to thieves.

This scam comes complete with phony lawyers, phony customs workers and a lot of forged documents. I know you'd rather believe her than me, so feel free to upload photos of your girlfriend, copies of legal documents, and anything else you think may change my mind so that I can convince you that you are at risk of losing all your funds to a scammer claiming to get an inheritance that doesn't exist for a woman that doesn't exist either.

Thank you

You're very welcome.

I strive for 5-star service. If I have addressed all of your concerns, please take the time to rate my service to you by selecting 5 stars on the rating scale, as a rating of okay or better is the only way that JustAnswer will give us Experts credit for our work. You would still be able to post further follow-ups on this question thread about this for no additional cost, even after I've been rated.

Hello,I feel like you didn't ask me enough questions prior to your post.I do know my fiancee and I have met her. You do not know the climate or history in West Africa. Its a third world country...There are a lot of facets that you didn't look at or ask.So No, I will not rate your answer.

I specifically made it clear that you could send me photos, documents and anything else that could possibly change my mind. You're the one who chose not to give me more information. You're welcome not to give me any substantial information or not to rate my answer. But don't say I didn't ask for what you apparently don't want me to see.

Best regards.

Your are just mad because you where wrong and you do not know how to be humble. Good Luck

Actually, I'm not angry at all.

When your fiancee turns up with her gold, please upload a photo of the two of you with the gold bars to this question thread, and I'll be happy to apologize for my presumptuousness.

Best of luck.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer