Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I just got divorced via the default divorce decree And

Customer Question
Hi, I just got...

Hi, I just got divorced via the default divorce decree And received the notice from court last week. I need to apply for a change of status for my visa. I haven't done that yet. I was wondering if there is still time to apply for it now. As I have also placed a motion at court to set aside the default divorce decree and I have a court hearing in Feb 2018. I need immediate help kindly let me know

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

I have a VISA extention approval notice on my previous H4 visa. The approval notice said I can stay in the US until Dec 2018. But since the divorce got final. I do not know if it will affect my current visa

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just I want to know my current immigration status and how to apply for a change of status

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/2/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Immigration Law Answer Team replied 7 months ago
Law Educator, Esq., Immigration Law Answer Team

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, under the H4 visa, once you are no longer married to someone with the H1 visa, you need to either leave the US or apply for change of status to some other status, such as your own job applying for your own H1 visa or a student visa by enrolling in school or a U visa if there was any physical violence against you by your former spouse.

Other than having a valid reason for obtaining a new visa status, you need to make arrangements to leave the US in a reasonable time, even though your visa says 12/18, the divorce means that it is ended (while the law says immediately, there is no real penalty for overstaying on a visa for less than 6 months).

So, you either need to arrange for some other type of visa you can qualify for or you need to arrange to leave the US and find some other visa qualification to return.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Hi, Thank you for your response. Although, the response was helpful. I needed more information regarding how to apply for my own H1 visa and what other visa categories I qualify for because I just graduated from school and obtained a Master's degree here in the US.Kindly let me know