Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Team, I am on h1b visa, my wife and son is on h4 visa, my…

Customer Question
Hi Team,I am on h1b...
Hi Team,I am on h1b visa, my wife and son is on h4 visa, my wife want to apply for MS and get f1 visa.If my wife got f1 visa, can I convert my sons visa from h4 to f2 visa as a dependent for my wife?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
12/2/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer
Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you get your answers, you will be asked to give a rating - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated. This is important because this is how I credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!ANSWER: Yes, that is not a problem. As king as she is approved for F-1, he is eligible for F-2.I hope that answers your questions. Please remember to give me credit for doing my job by clicking on 4 or 5 stars at the top of your screen.A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.Thank you!
Do I need to submit application to uscis to convert his visa from h4 to f2 visa?
Remember that I don't get credit for doing my job if you do not give me a positive rating. Kindly do so by going to the top of this page and clicking on 4 or 5 stars. Thank you!ANSWER 2: You don’t convert a visa inside the US. They apply for a change of status from H4 to F1 and F2Please do not forget to give me credit now. Thank you!
Means as soon as my wife gets f1 visa, his visa will be changed to f2 status automatically?
Even if my wife gets OPT also he can continue on f2 visa or he is going to continue as OPT dependent?
Kindly do not forget to give me credit for helping you. I’m sure that working on your H1B, you want to get credit for the job you do. I am no different. You can still ask questions once you’ve given a rating. This way, I am assured that you will not forget later.ANSWER: No, your child’s status does not change automatically with hot mother. Your wife needs to file for a change of status for herself to F-1, and she needs to file for a change of status for your child to F-2. Two separate applications.OPT in a not a status. It is Optional Practical Training while on F-1 status. So the child remains on F-2 while his mom is on F-1 doing OPT.I hope that answers your questions. Please remember to give me credit for doing my job by clicking on 4 or 5 stars at the top of your screen.A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.Thank you!

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going. I see you have reviewed my answer but I have not received credit for it. Remember that the rating is not based on the outcome you wanted or desired, but instead, on my service to you. Negative ratings are reserved for Experts who are rude or unprofessional.

Do you need more help?

Thank you!