Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

For GuillermoOne of my friend first time entered in USA as…

Customer Question
Second opinion] For GuillermoOne of...
Second opinion] For GuillermoOne of my friend first time entered in USA as Immigrant in 2000 on the approved I-130 petition of her mother and he got permanent resident card. He went to India in the year 2006 and over stayed more than one year and now again entered in USA in May 2016 on SB1 visa.When he entered in USA, the immigrant officer took his previous permanent resident card at the airport. The previous permanent resident card was expired in 2011.They issued him new permanent resident card number.He applied for I-90 in October 2016 and USCIS has determined that he is ineligible to be issued a replacement form I-551 and they denied the I-90 application.USCIS suggest that if permanent resident is expired, lost or stolen then file I-90 again or he can file I-290BCan you please advise what should he has to do to get his permanent resident card back?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/1/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience. Please allow me some time to review your question.

What was the basis for filing the I-90 that was already denied? What was he asking for or what did he say he was filing the I-90 for if he didn't say his card was misplaced?

As explained, he is LPR ,went to India and overstayed more than a year and has no re-entry permit. He was given SBI visa to reenter in USA. As he entered in USA, his Green Card was taken by Immigration Officer at Airport. He need green card, his card also expired more than six months. On SBI visa he has new alien number, He filed I-90 to get his green card but USCIS denied with the remarks that they cannot generate new card as his old card is ok and said that if it is expired or if it is lost and stolen then file I-90 with fee. or can file motion I-290
Now in fact the card is not misplaced but taken by Immigration, there is no place to check like that it was taken by Immigration at the time of entry, Simply we can say it is expired, What do you advise ?
I understand the question completely. But you didn’t answer my question. When he filed the I-90, Part 2, Section A asks him to give a reason he is filing. He did not use lost or force open the first time. So on the form, what reason did he choose on the form I-90 that was denied. To understand what I am asking, you or he need to look at the form and let me know what he put for Part 2, Section A.