Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am a Canadian on TD in US. And I am a college junior

Customer Question
I am a Canadian...

I am a Canadian on TD in US. And I am a college junior student. I won’t be able to renew my TD (expiring in the May) since I will be over 21. So I need to apply my F1 for Spring 2018 semester. Is there any way to switch from TD to F1 in US without leaving?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

No.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
11/30/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 7 months ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

So sorry for the delay. My internet was having issues.

Here is your answer. Yes there is a way to change your status without leaving the US. You can submit form I-539 which is an application to change your status from one to another. You want to make sure that you submit it before your TD status expires.

Here is the application and the fee is $370 https://www.uscis.gov/i-539

-----------------

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."