Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

We have a question with regard to Esta Visas and the

Customer Question
Hello, we have a...

Hello, we have a question with regard to Esta Visas and the possibility of extending the stay here in the US. Is this possible? Would they be able to apply for a visa here in the US in order to stay here in the US? This is for our niece and she is from Italy. She wants to make her permanent residence here in the US and so she was wondering if she could do this or if she is required to return back to Italy to apply for another visa in order to come back?

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

NO

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

If we are able to apply for another visa here in the states, what form would this be and what requirements in order to do this is needed.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
11/30/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 7 months ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Unfortunately the ESTA is very strict because the US sees it as a privilege to enter without having to get an actual visa. Due to being so strict, they do not allow for any kind of visa extension or to change to another type of visa while being here inside the US. She would need to depart the US and apply for another visa from abroad. The only way she could change her status here in the US is if she married a US citizen and the person then petitions her for her green card. For any other situation, she would have to depart the US before the time that her stay here expires. She should not overstay the time given on her ESTA.

I'm so sorry. I wish I had better news about this for you. I hope that you are still able to rate me based on the service and not whether it's good or bad news regarding your question.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."

Hi again, I see you were able to view my answer. Is there anything else I can clarify for you to earn your positive rating?