Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Would like to ask an immigration question. Its just a

Customer Question
Would like to ask...

Would like to ask an immigration question

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No, its just a question

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My husband and I are citizens, so is my mother in law. She states that she does not have a mexican birth certificate and cannot file for him. We would like to see if there is another way.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
11/30/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience. Please allow me some time to review your question.

Sure. By the way, my husband's grandpa is already here in the states; never worked here. He's almost 80 and I would like him to travel with us within the US r even to Mexico; reason for why we want to legalize him.

I'm confused. Your mother-in-law cannot file for whom?

grandpa is my mother-in-law's father, but she claims not to have a Mexican birth certificate, which would be needed in order for her to start the process to legalize him. Also, she does not want him to leave the country as there is no one to take care of him in mexico.

What is his status in the US at this time? How did he enter the US? In what status?

When did he enter the US?

Has an immigrant petition ever been filed for him before? IF so, when?

These questions are important in order for me to know his options.

status now: illegal
He entered by car at the checkpoint and, from what i hear, not many questions were asked as he was elderly. He entered the US about 11 years ago. no petition has ever been filed.

When you say he entered by car, in what status was that? Did he have a visa or a border crossing card? Is there evidence that he entered the US legally even though he is currently unlawfully present?

He didn't have anything, from what my mother in law tells me.

It's impossible that he met with border patrol and they allowed him to enter without any documents or providing hims with evidence of the same. Can someone look at his passport to confirm?

ok, i will get with my mother in law.

If you would like me to answer this question based on the assumption that he does not have documentation showing his lawful entry to the US, I can do that for you now. Please let me know.

Do you have any new information for me?