Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones,
Experience:  Managing Attorney at Nisha Jones Law, LLC
93473422

I would like to ask my father became a us citizen when i

Customer Question

Hi
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I would like to ask my father became a us citizen when i was17 now I'm 37 those that help me
JA: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?
Customer: No
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm currently a green card holder
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Nisha Jones replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I'm an Immigration attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'm reviewing your question and will reply in a moment, thanks!

Did your father ever file a petition for you (I-130) while you were a minor?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No

Unfortunately his attaining citizenship at that time is not particularly beneficial to you in any way.

Unless of course he were to petition for your permanent residency now, which it appears he (or someone else) has already done, as you mentioned that you have your green card.

Since you already have your green card/ permanent residency, you just need to wait the requisite 3 or 5 years, and then file for your naturalization to receive your US citizenship.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!