Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Is there a problem in applying to apply to immigrate to

Hello,Is there a problem in...
Hello,Is there a problem in applying to apply to immigrate to other country such as Canada, Australia,... etc. while there is a Marriage Immigration application to USA? Does this encourage the consular to reject the US immigration visa at interview?Thank you
11/29/2017
ScottyMacESQ
ScottyMacESQ, Lawyer

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

It makes it more likely that the visa would be rejected, yes. There would have to be explanations why these were being filed, and hopefully abandoned or cancelled by the applicant. The point is that the immigration official is going to be looking at the facts and asking if this is a legitimate marriage or if it's just being done for immigration purposes (a "sham" marriage). The more applications that the person has for immigration to other countries, the more likely that this person will consider it a sham marriage situation. So the best thing to do would be to cancel those applications, have a good reason to explain why they were filed in the first place, and to show that the relationship leading to the marriage is legitimate, not merely for immigration purposes. That means showing how you met, communications, that you've talked about the "realities" of marriage (finances, children, where you'll live, how you'll consolidate assets, etc...). That makes it more likely that this is actually for marriage and not immigration purposes.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

ScottyMacESQ
ScottyMacESQ, Lawyer
Thank you Scotty for your detailed answer, it made us to rethink about the situation in another point of view. Your answer is highly appreciated.

You're welcome, and again, good luck to you!

ScottyMacESQ
ScottyMacESQ
ScottyMacESQ, Lawyer