Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I have two parents currently in jail. Immigrants of course.

Customer Question
Hello, I have two...

Hello, I have two parents currently in jail. Immigrants of course. And also with an ICE hold. They had court this past Tuesday, November the 21. It's been past the 48 hours that they give for ICE to come pick them up. They won't release them. What do you suggest? Thank you in advance.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

North Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I have an immigration lawyer for my mom and he said he couldn't do anything since they're not moving her yet. She hasn't signed anything. He said that he could fight for an immigration bond when they start moving her around. But since they haven't started moving her and it's beyond those 48 hours, I wanted to see what I could do about that.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, I don't think that's it.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
11/27/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions. I am reviewing it and will post your answer momentarily.

Thank you!

Federal Judge in Texas Finds County Policy of Honoring ICE Detainers Violated Plaintiff’s Rights

6/5/2017

A district judge found that a Texas county’s policy of honoring ICE detainers violated the Fourth and Fourteenth Amendment rights of a plaintiff who was held in county detention pursuant to an ICE detainer after his criminal charge was dismissed. (Trujillo Santoyo v. United States, 6/5/17)

Have they been issued one of these

http://www.aila.org/File/Related/17032405a.pdf?utm_source=aila.org&utm_medium=InfoNet%20Sear

I have also attached the controversy of ICE detainers.

Please read these attachments and come back to me.

It all depends on whether that particular jurisdiction is participating in the "secure communities" with the Feds. Why? They get federal money.

So read the attachments then tomorrow call the city or county attorney - who ever is holding them - and ask if they are participating in secure communities and if not they have a constitutional obligation to release after 48 hours.

Judith

Thank you so much!!

Let me know what you find out.

Judith