Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My boyfriend has received his green card a few month ago, if…

My boyfriend has received his...
My boyfriend has received his green card a few month ago, if I file a domestic violence complaint against him will he be able to keep his green card?
11/25/2017
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if it is bad news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

If he is convicted of domestic violence, he will lose his green card and be deported from the U.S. You just have to make sure he gets convicted, so make sure that you help the police and prosecutor.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

what does it mean "get convicted"? does that mean receiving a restraining order?

No. A restraining order is often a civil remember. He has to be criminally convicted or at least admit the essential elements of domestic violence in order to lose his green card and be subject to deportation.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

what are the essential elements of domestic violence? would it count if its only a verbal threat?

No. He had to admit it to the police that he hit you. So it's basically that or that the prosecutor convicts him in court trial or he pleas guilty.

ok, so threats don't count as violent as they are correct? how about kicking and breaking a TV, would that count as an essential element?

He has to admit guilt or be convicted. If he doesn't admit guilt, he fights against the conviction and wins, then you will not get him deported.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see the stars or smiley faces, please scroll to the top of the page to see them or click on my name and they should come out. Also, we do NOT finish just because it says "Rate to Finish" or something like that. Your question does NOT close and you can continue to ask questions without additional charge on the same question thread even after you leave a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding!

Ok but you did not answer my questions(?)

I have answered your questions. He has to admit guilt or be convicted. If he avoids a conviction, he will not lose his green card. What city and state do you live in?

Nj, BERGEN county, u didn’t answer if breaking a tv is considered a conviction to get him deported?

A conviction is if a judge or jury finds him guilty or if he pleads guilty. Has that happened?

I never pressed charges. would that be a criminal court? can I file a police report for something that happened monthes ago?

You needed to have pressed charges. Yes, that would be criminal card. But yes, you can file a police report for something that happened months ago. It just makes it harder for the prosecutor to get a conviction, but it is still possible.

Please don't forget that positive rating. I only keep mentioning it because if you can believe it, about 30% to 40% of customers don't leave a rating at all and since I am not given a salary to be here, a positive rating is the only way the website will compensate me (which costs you nothing additional and the session does NOT close). It's as if I spent my time responding for free. So you can understand, 30% to 40% of customers not leaving a positive rating is like working 40 hours per week, 5 days a week and not being compensated for every Friday and most Thursdays. That's the only reason I keep mentioning it. Sorry if it is a bother as it is not my intention. If you don't see the stars by my name, I think all you have to do is scroll to the top of the page or click on my name and they will come out. Thank you for your understanding.

Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!