Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

My wife and I went to our interview for a green card. We…

For Guillermo: My wife and...
For Guillermo: My wife and I went to our interview for a green card. We were told that because we used my wife's maiden name (the one on her passport) on our I-485 application, they would have to do an FBI name check/security clearance and would send it within 90 days. However, we are at 101 days and it still has not arrived. My wife is pregnant and has lost her medical insurance and soon will loose her driver's license as well. We have made and inquiry and it seems that the response is that we still just need to wait for the security clearance. Is there anything that we can do to quicken the process or to find out when it will arrive?
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/25/2017
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer

This is just another reason that you probably should have hired me or another attorney to handle your case. I'm sorry that this has happened to you. When was the I-485 filed? What country is your spouse from? Did your marriage certificate change her name?

My wife's name was changed to mine and appears so on our marriage certificate. We sent in our I-485 in August of 2016. My wife is from Japan.

There are a few things you can do to push the case along:

1) Call the USCIS Customer Service number at 1-***-***-****.

2) Go to http://infopass.uscis.gov/ and make an appointment to speak in person with an immigration officer to find out the status.

3) If the case is very delayed, you may contact your U.S. Congressmen to get them involved and have their staff push the case along. Here is a helpful link to help you with this: http://www.usa.gov/Contact/Elected.shtml.

4) And finally, you could hire an attorney to find out the status and also push the case along. You can try to find one at http://www.ailalawyer.com/.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Guillermo, thanks for all your help thus far! Quick question- I was told through the Hawaii senator's office that my wife will be receiving her residence card in two to three weeks and we have received the I-797 for that in the mail. In the meantime, we had applied for employment authorization. As we don't need an EAD card any longer, we do not want to go to the appointment. Is there a proper way to cancel it? Should I check request for rescheduling and send a letter requesting to cancel? Thank you

I would just not go. Don't over worry about that.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks Guillermo- actually the green card showed up today! All the best and thanks for your help, happy new year!

You are very welcome! Happy New Year to you too!

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.