Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

A former foster son is being held for deportation in Pine…

Customer Question
A former foster son...

A former foster son is being held for deportation in Pine Prairie, Louisiana and it's been more than 90 days. ICE tried to deport him in 2008 & Ethiopia refused to take him. He's been incarcerated in federal prisons 3 times with 2 year sentences each. He wants to file a writ of habeas corpus. After his last federal prison stay, they picked him up on November 23, 2016. Then he was moved to D.C. jail as a witness in an unrelated case & held there for about 4 months before returning to Louisiana. His officer says they use the date of detention the last time he came to Louisiana which was in June 2017, not Nov. 23, 2016. First question is, does he file a petition before filing a writ of habeas corpus? Secondly, which Court would he file the writ of habeas corpus when he files it. He lived in Arlington, Virginia originally and was there between prison terms.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

He is in Louisiana right now.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No as I don't know if he needs a Louisiana lawyer or a Virginia lawyer and he doesn't have any money.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I can't think what else.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
A judge issued a deportation order in 2008 but Ethiopia would not issue travel documents because his family is considered Eritrean even though he was born in Ethiopia. Eritrea also declined to take him. He got asylum status the month after his mother brought him and his 3 brothers to the U.S.A. His birthday is ***** and he was 14 when he came.
Bisrat was found guilty of aggravated assault and robbery in Superior Court of the District of Columbia on April 5, 2016. He received a sentence of 2 years including time served and was sent to Big Sandy in Inez KY. He was released on November 23, 2016 and ICE had U.S. Marshall pick him up. He was taken to Pine Prairie Detention in Louisiana. He was given a suppoena to be a witness at a trial in Washington D.C. and spent 4 months waiting for the trial which is postponed until June 2018. He was returned to Louisiana in June, 2017. ICE wants to use the June 2017 date for detention and Bisrat wants to use the November 2016. He also wants to use the date of deportation as 2008, the first time they tried to deport him.
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/25/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 5 months ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

I am awaiting your response.
If I talk to you for $59, how many minutes can we talk?
If no one answers in the next 15 minutes, I am going to stop the conversation and tell my credit card company to void the charge. I originally logged in at 9:34 P.M. and it is now 11:19 P.M. It's going on two hours awaiting some correspondence.
Okay, after two hours, I'm not waiting any longer to hear from someone. I will cancel this call and will not pay for the non-response. What a bummer!

I'm very sorry. My internet was having issues so I could not get online to let you know. I will opt out and let someone else answer you. I'm sure someone will be with you soon.

Ely, Counselor at Law