Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am anAmerican and my boyfriend lives in Dubia. I need to…

Customer Question
I am anAmerican and...

I am anAmerican and my boyfriend lives in Dubia. I need to know where to get the fiance paperwork for us to marry in the USA

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

No, I'm trying to figure out what I need to do and what all we need to fill out

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No, I didn't think we would need one

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

If I got married there what would we have to do, honestly I'm trying to see what is the easiest and fastest so we can be together

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/25/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good evening, I am an Immigration Law attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

Congratulations! You have 2 options for petitioning for him:

(1.) as your fiance, or

(2.) as your spouse.

I can explain a little about both of those options for you.

As your fiance, you'd submit USCIS Form I-129 for him.

The processing time is generally around 3-6 months.

Once approved, he has 90 days from the date he enters the US in which you two are to get married.

Once you're married, you can file USCIS Form I-485 to adjust his status to permanent resident.

Here is a link to USCIS with the forms and instructions:

https://www.uscis.gov/family/family-us-citizens/fiancee-visa/fiancee-visas

As your husband, you'd get married first, and then submit USCIS Form I-130 for him.

The processing time for this petition ranges between 6-15 months, however you can also file a K3 visa petition to have him join you here in the US while awaiting approval of the I-130.

https://www.uscis.gov/family/family-us-citizens/spouse/bringing-spouses-live-united-states-permanent-residents

The fiance visa is definitely the faster of the 2 routes.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!