Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My daughter was to fly to FIJI this morning, however her…

Customer Question
My daughter was to...

My daughter was to fly to FIJI this morning , however her passport expires on 2nd May 2018 and she has been told it is within 6 months of expiry so he cannot go. Is there any way around this?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
11/24/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

She can take the chance they will let her in.I have personally run into this myself with 6 months left on passport.The guy let us into Jamaica but grilled us for like 30 minutes, we had to verify our return flights.She is taking a risk here that they let her in , if she can show her return ticket they may let her in.But I have also had this problem in other countries, Mexico was another one.I personally don't understand this but it is a real problem.She may try to rebook and expedite passport renewal.

Legally she has valid passport but the country decides whether to let you in and Fiji is really picky about it.She can take a cruise, we did that since our passport wasn't quite up, cruises allow you to use it with drivers license.Otherwise she is going to need to renew.I can tell you that if you expedite we got ours really quick within 10 days.

Sorry this happened, it was real eye opener for me.

I appreciate the chance to help you and wish you the best.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.