Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am an American citizen and I want to sponsor GC for my…

Customer Question
I am an American citizen...
I am an American citizen and I want to sponsor GC for my parents (of Indian Nationality) as I am their only child.
Their B1/B2 10 year tourist visa expires in December 2018.1. Once the I-130 application process starts -
a. will their B1/B2 visa be cancelled?
b. can my parents still travel to US on their B1/B2 visa before it expires?2. What is estimated time of processing of Green Card when they are outside US?3. Is it better for me to start the application when they are in US on vacation and do an adjustment of status?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
11/24/2017
Immigration Lawyer: KLAW, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer
Good afternoon.
I cannot see any response to my question
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 8 months ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Hello my name is***** and I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I will review and get back to you in a few minutes.
1. No their visa will not be automatically canceled once you submit the I-130.
2. The estimates time is about 8 months to a year. It is more delayed in recent months so it can be closer to a year or a little over a year.
3. Well, I can't actually recommend to you for them to apply through adjustment of status in the US because it is illegal for someone to enter as a tourist already having intentions to stay here and adjust status. If it was revealed at the port of entry that they are coming with those intentions, then they could be barred from returning to the US for 5 years. How would they know? They officers may have suspicions when they ask them why theyre coming in. They are also allowed to check all belongings and electronics for clues as to their true intentions.
If they entered the US with intentions to leave but while here they suddenly decided to stay and adjust after at least 60 days of being here, that is different and that is legal. The benefit of doing that is that they will already be in the US even if their case is delayed. But keep in mind they cannot apply for a few months and they will not get a work permit and driver's license until 3-4 months AFTER they apply. The whole process takes about 7-9 months but is also delayed right now. This all may not be an issue in your situation. So whether adjust of status is "better" is a matter of opinion depending on your circumstances.I know immigration issues like these sometimes seem complicated and confusing. If at any time you would like to have a more detailed consultation by phone or if you need help with preparation or review of applications, I can send you an offer to exchange contact information so I may help you with these legal services for a reasonable fee. You don't have to decide if you would like that now, but just letting you know it's an affordable option for you to keep in mind for whenever you'd like.
-----------------
Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you!Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY! It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions for you at no additional charge, if you have any.Hopefully you feel you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best! The stars are very important. This is how I receive a credit from the website. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you.If you have additional follow up questions that you would like to ask me, again please click Finish... and rate me and then ask me and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.Any bonus you feel I earned is always welcomed and very appreciated.If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you writing the words "FOR JEN MARIE" in your new post. :)
--------
Hello again.. I see that you were able to view my answer a few days ago, but you did not ask any follow ups or leave me any feed back.
Please let me know how else I can help and please kindly keep in mind that we experts do not receive a salary from this website. We only receive credit when you leave a good rating for us with the stars ★★★★★. Thank you for your consideration of our work and time here.Hello again.. I see that you were able to view my questions a few days ago, but you did not respond. I cannot give you an answer if you do not reply to my questions first. Please let me know how I can help. You are not charged more money for replying to my questions.
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 7 months ago

Please let me know how else I can help and please kindly keep in mind that we experts do not receive a salary from this website. We only receive credit when you leave a good rating for us with the stars ★★★★★. Thank you for your consideration of our work and time here.