Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I applied for visa to US and my representative provided

Customer Question
I applied for visa...

I applied for visa to US and my representative provided wrong information. what can i do?

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

No, I was refused I wonder whether I had to use only official providers

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

The guy who helped me turned out to be a crook no, I just got a refusal

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, I wonder whether I had to use the official attorney

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
11/23/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney replied 8 months ago
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

ok, I am waiting

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if it is bad news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

What visa did you apply for? Why were you denied?

visitor visa, I do not know the details

To enter the U.S. or to enter Canada?

I wonder whether the fact that I had a paid representative and he was not an attorney could be the reason.
to enter US

Most likely not. What country are you from? What ties do you have to your home?

are there any official rules about having a paid representative? How can be paid representative?
I mean who can be paid representative

As I said, I would not worry about that. What country are you from? What ties do you have to your home?

I have lived in Canada for a number of year, have a job here, have a family, all was in order, the only issue is that I used the services of someone who is not a lawyer and that was an issue

Not necessarily as I keep saying. It isn't the licensing that is the issue but probably more about the experience. If they didn't know what they were doing, attorney or not, it would certainly result in a denial. Since you are Canadian, why not just use your Canadian passport? Or are you not Canadian? If you are not Canadian, what country are you from? Did your spouse and minor children also apply for the visa at the same time?

I did not apply for citizenship yet, i am from Russia
at least I understand that the issue was not me using not authorized rep and that is a relief

Ok. Did your spouse and minor children also apply for the visa at the same time? The job you have, what is it? Does it have a better than average salary? And what is your legal status in Canada?