Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

How can I invite my boyfriend from Dominican. No how would I…

Customer Question
How can I invite...

How can I invite my boyfriend from Dominican

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

No how would I do that is it online

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
11/23/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney replied 6 months ago
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

How can I invite someone

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if it is bad news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

They better not find out about you because if they do, they will deny his visa. I will explain. You can look at the link below for all the information that you need on the visitor visa:

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/visit/visitor.html

Essentially, he must have a valid reason for visiting, must have a way to support himself without working illegally, must have significant ties to his home country, and must have the intent to return home.

A letter of invitation helps with some of this as it will help to show why he is coming to the U.S., how much time he will need and that perhaps he will have a place to stay so that he doesn't have to spend money. Usually you want to show that he is going just for a few weeks or so. If it is longer than that, immigration will wonder why and will become suspicious. They are almost sure to deny someone that says they want to visit for 5 or 6 months unless they have very strong evidences of everything else I listed above. But keep in mind that a letter of invitation is a small part of the process and isn't even a requirement (people mistakenly believe it is the most important) and it can sometimes be used against the applicant. For example, if the consular officer believes that the applicant will have too much support meaning that they could stay illegally in the U.S. or if there is a romantic connection, the officer would deny the visa. Sometimes it is better to not even have a letter of invitation. The most important part of a case is to have strong ties to the home country.

So your letter should state why you are inviting him and that you will provide room and board while he is here visiting.

Now as to some of the ties, he will need to show that he has significant close family at home, property not easily sold, and a good job for a good company that he has had for awhile that he would not normally abandon.

So if he is young, and without much money or any property or a good job, he would probably be denied. They would see him as a risk for staying illegal. Also, persons that are planning to travel with their spouse and children are a risk as well because some of their significant ties are actually going with them.

I mean some people have been approved with less, but I am trying to give you the idea for the best chance.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!