Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I have a question about H1B and green card. My situation is…

Hi,I have a question about...
Hi,I have a question about H1B and green card. My situation is like this:My OPT supposed to end on 06/09 this year, but my company filed H1B and my case got selected in lottery. So OPT was extended to 09/30. And my H1B case has no result till 09/30. So I have stopped working from 10/01 and wait for my H1B to get approved. So I do not have working authorization from 10/01. My company mistakenly paid me for October, and filed on payroll. I can transfer the money back to company.Questions:
1. Is it possible that the company remove the payroll record?
2. If the payroll record cannot be removed, does it influence my pending H1B case(my case is in RFE status)?
3. If the payroll record cannot be removed, is there any further influence to my immigration status, for example: green card application?
4. If the payroll record cannot be removed, how to get rid of the influences by proving it is a payroll mistake?Thank you.
Xiaotian
11/23/2017
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer
Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience. Please allow me some time to review your question and to prepare a response.As I am doing so, keep in mind that a normal part of dealing with complicated legal issues is that you might experience some delays. Please do not opt me out expecting a faster response. This will only result in further delays. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.
Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you get your answers, you will be asked to give a rating - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated. This is important because this is how I credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!ANSWER: There is no way to know how this might influence a case because there is no way to know if the USCIS will actually know about it. The main thing to remember is that if you were not working then you did not engage in unauthorized employment and did not violate any laws. There is no prohibition in the law that says you can’t get money for doing nothing in return.If it does come up, which again, I doubt. The employer should simply explain that there was a payroll/HR error and that you were not engaged in any employment at all. This should come from the payroll people. You should pay that money back, so that they an also say any money you received in error was returned to the company.As far as whether the payroll can be fixed, that’s not an immigration matter. That’s dependent on the partial system and the person or entity who runs it.I hope that answers your questions. Please remember to give me credit for doing my job by clicking on 4 or 5 stars at the top of your screen.A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.Thank you!
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer
Hi James,Thank you for your detailed answer! I really appreciate your fast response. If there are 10 stars, I will definitely give you 10! Thank you so much.Xiaotian
Thanks for your kindness! You’re always welcome to reward me with a good bonus if you feel I’ve earned it.