Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I have a question regarding OPT extension for F1 visa. Im on…

I have a question...

I have a question regarding OPT extension for F1 visa

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

Im on F1 visa

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

11/23/2017
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

What is your specific question?

hello
currently, I am working on STEM OPT program and my visa is F1
I have been working at my current place for last 10 months
I need to apply for my OPT extension for next 24 months, and the due date on my EAD card is 02/08/2018.

Ok and what is your question about this?

My employer is not E-varified and will not help me in OPT extention application.

Ok, I'm sorry to hear that. So what is your question regarding this?

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Phone call session started

Please tell me your question first.

will I be able to use my OPT 90 day job application period if i loose my job?
I am waiting on your call?

You mean 90 day unemployment period?

If so, yes you have up to 90 days during the OPT period that you can be unemployed

my question is, I have 62 days of the unemployed period left. My 1-year EAD exires on 02/08/2018. If I dont get to manage any job and can not apply for the OPT extension by 02/08/2018. Will I be able to stay in the USA legally since I have 62 days unemployed period left?
if I loose my current job on 02/01/2018

The unemployment period is only to be use until 02/28/2018. If you do not have the extension file by that time, then you cannot stay legally in the US.

Is there any way to stay in the USA legally after that?

.

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney