Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I have a question... if person who was not having documents…

Customer Question
Hello! i have a...

Hello! i have a question... if person who was not having documents was married to a usa citizen for 1 y and 2 months getting divorced with his wife because of her fault she was cheating on him... can he apply for legal documents in this situation?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No this is it

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
11/22/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 8 months ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

why did you charge me additional $31.00? it was saying only $5.00

I'm sorry, I am not the one charging you. I don't work directly for the website, I am an independent contrator. But I believe the $5 is a deposit. The $31 is for the whole question. Do you want to continue? Should I answer your question or you prefer to ask the website for a refund?

i want you to answer
When I am going to have an answer?
when i am gi
oing to have an aswer?

Ok great. I am happy to answer you. After I answer, let me know any follow up questions or clarifications. There's no additional charge for all you need to ask. I am working on your answer. Takes a few minutes.

Unfortunately It's not very good news in this case. Let me explain. In order to apply for permanent residency (legal status documents) in the United States based on marriage to a US citizen, then you must still be currently married and not divorced from your spouse. Having been married for a year but then divorcing, unfortunately is not enough. The only way to be able to apply after you are divorced or getting divorced is only if you do it based on abuse from your spouse that you suffered. This means that you would have to prove that you have been battered/or abused by your spouse. Then you can apply under something called VAWA. If not, then unfortunately you still have to be married and applying together. If you decide to stay married, then you can apply.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."