Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am a US Permanent Resident and Citizen of Spain. In April,

Customer Question
Hi, I am a...

Hi, I am a US Permanent Resident and Citizen of Spain. In April, I married my Spanish girlfriend in the US (while she was visiting). I am a college professor, and I am on sabbatical leave in Spain, living in Spain with my now wife, and wanted to initiate proceedings to get her papers in order so that we can return to the US together.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

No, I was waiting because I have just moved to Spain for the semester

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No Would that be the first step?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I would like to know if it would be easier to start the paperwork while we are in Spain, or if we can make the arrangements through an embassy here. We were not going to move to the US until May.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
11/22/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 9 months ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Thank you

Unfortunately I am not going to have very good news for you. I hope you can understand that I don't make the laws and can't change them and hope you can rate me based on my service. Is this okay with you?

i am assuming that is not your answer

No ofcourse not :) Preparing it for you now.

The first step is for you to file I-130 for your wife. You can find the form on uscis.gov/forms and the cost is $535. The USCIS international office is not located in Spain so you cannot file the application locally. You must mail it to the address in the US. You should mail this as soon as possible to begin the process.

Unfortunately, your wife will not be able to immigrate permanently to the US by May. Once you submit the I-130 application, whether it's done locally or sent to the US, you still have to wait the same amount of time as all other permanent residents that petition their spouses for an immigrant visa (green card ) to be available for her. This will take about 1.5 years right now since you are a permanent resident. If you were a US citizen, there is no wait time except the processing time of the application. Permanent residents have to wait the processing time plus the time for an immigrant visa to be available.

If you are able to become a US citizen, this is a good option to do in order to speed up the process for your wife.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."

Thank you!

You're very welcome.

Please kindly remember to issue a rating by selecting from the stars on the top.

It's the only way I receive any credit here for my time. Thanks for your consideration of my time.