Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I live in the Bahamas but my mom is a US citizen and I would…

I live in the...

I live in the Bahamas but my mom is a US citizen and I would like for myself and wife and child to be able to live in the United States

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

Not yet I am not sure what forms to fill out or any of the procedures

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No just want to know what I need to do

11/22/2017
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Ok
I will wait

Your mother can petition you for your green card. However, unfortunately there is a long wait for children of US citizens that are over 21. If you are married, then the wait is even longer. Right now the wait would be about 6 years. This time can vary but it's the wait time as of this month.

To begin the process, your mother would need to submit the application I-130 for you. You can find it on uscis.gov/forms The fee is $535. You only need to submit one for your spouse and children.

I know immigration issues like these sometimes seem complicated and confusing. If at any time you would like to have a more detailed consultation by phone or if you need help with preparation or review of applications, I can send you an offer to exchange contact information so I may help you with these legal services for a reasonable fee. You don't have to decide if you would like that now, but just letting you know it's an affordable option for you to keep in mind for whenever you'd like.

-----------------

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney