Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

For a Canadian citizen Is there an actual stamp or piece of…

For a Canadian citizenIs there...
For a Canadian citizenIs there an actual stamp or piece of paper that is the visa? My wife is Canadian and she got here just by showing her passport. She's getting close to having been here for 6 months but her most recent I-94 has an expiration date of 2/2/2018. What are the details for time allotment in the US under a visitor B-2 visa? and is there a grace period if you've overstayed? what happens if you've overstayed? What's the difference between a B-2 Visa and an I-94?
11/21/2017
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Canadians don't usually receive an actual stamp or paper. The I-94 lets her know until when she can remain in the US legally.

Visitor's under B-2 visa can remain in the US up to 6 months. There is no grace period for overstaying. However, if she doen't overstay at least 6 months, she will not receive an official bar from returning to the US. If she stays 6 months or more, she will be barred from returning for 3 years. If she stays one year or more, she is barred from returning for 10 years. Less than 6 months, there is no official bar as I said, but the officers at the ports of entries can give her a hard time when trying to come back and they can deny her entry. It may be fine but there is a risk involved with overstaying any amount of time.

The B-2 visa is an actual visa. The I-94 is the document which tells the amount of time that any foreigner in the US can remain in the US and when they entered.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."

Her I-94 has an expiration date of 2/2/2018 because she entered the US most recently in August. She has been in the country prior to August.Is it a cumulative 6 months in a year period? Or is it the date on the most recent I-94.Is there an application for an extension?What if we filed for a green card?

The 6 months starts on the date she last entered, showing on her I-94. She is allowed to be here up to 6 months in one trip and in a 12 month period. If she entered in August, you would count 6 months from August and that's why she must depart by February.

If you are a US citizen, you do have the option of filing for her green card while she is already in the US. You would have to submit all the appropriate applications and she would be able to wait here legally in the US even if her I-94 expires during that time.

I just found out when she was here in January and then in July (for a total of 6 weeks) that her time here was under a TN visa as she was employed then. That visa expired before her recent visit in August.So that part is good.And now it's just the current visitor status under the current I-94. Yes?

Yes, exactly.

I hope this has helped and I hope you can kindly issue a positive rating from the stars. Thanks for your consideration of our time here.

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney