Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Haven't received my card it's still pending but need to take…

Customer Question
Haven't received my green...

Haven't received my green card it's still pending but need to take an emergency trip back home. What do I do? I heard I need to fill out a I-131 form but which part and how do I file without my lawful number?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
11/20/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 5 months ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Do you already have a green card that is expired or this is your first green card?

Hi, it's my husband. We filed back in March. I just checked his on his case online through USCIS and it just says how they received the information they needed for the I-485. My lawyer is terrible! they never get back to me with information
and now my husband wanted to go see his family for Christmas since his grandmother is in the hospital and his brother has been sick also. He already lost his mother a couple of years back and wasn't able to go back then so he really wanted to go now

Unfortunately it may be too late to get a travel permit now. It takes about 3-4 months to receive it but you can definitely try. Yes, the form is the I-131. If you have proof of an emergency situation such as his grandmother's condition, then you can take the proof with English translations to your local USCIS office. You must make an appointment first. Then while you're there you can apply for an emergency I-131 instead of mailing it and waiting 3-4 months. It is only reserved for real emergency situations, that is why you need documents to prove it is am emergency.

You can make an appointment here https://my.uscis.gov/appointment

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."

Thank you!

You're very welcome.

Please kindly don't forget to choose a rating from the stars on the top. It's the only way I receive any credit for my work here. Thanks in advance!

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney