Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am applying without a lawyer, after reading some of the…

Customer Question
Hey ,      ...

Hey ,
        I am applying without a lawyer, after reading some of the posts on VisaJourney. I just had a few questions before getting started.
I am 18, we have over 500 pictures, multiple plane tickets, hotel bookings, and we will have more family pictures- official ceremony pictures on Jan 5th. Because I am going to meet her again Jan 1- Jan 20. Do you guys have any more suggestions/tips on what I should do when I go regarding proof,  more pictures, and etc.
I am 18 so I am currently a student attending college. I have had two part-time jobs in the past 2 years which I never had to file taxes for because I think it fell under my mothers because I am a dependent on her tax returns. However, I have two Co-sponsors available, my sister and my mother- both blood-related (if that matters.) My mother has a house fully paid-off but a low income because my dad passed away (he was the primary source.) On the other hand, my sister has had a high income for the past two years and has assets- including fully-paid off house, 6 cars, 2 bikes, many other things such as a snowmobile, all fully paid off, and more. She has a house but her address on her driver's license and documents is the same as me because she never got a chance to change it (if that helps.) My question is what would I write in the employer section of the K1 visa forms and what proofs do you guys recommend me gathering pertaining to my sister. And lastly, if there's any other helpful tips or information you guys have that you think would be useful with my situation would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
11/20/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 7 months ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Sure I'm happy to help.

As far as documents pertaining to the relationship, it sounds like you have a good amount. I would suggest also attaching copies of some of your chats and emails from the time you have been dating. You can also attach copies of greeting cards you may have sent each other. You can also submit receipt from places and hotels you may go to together. If you have bought her a ring or anything expensive, you can also show copies of those receipts.

As far as what you would write under employment, be truthful. List any jobs you have had even if they were not long term and even if you're not working now. There's no requirement that you have to be working now.

As far as your sister, you are going to need her last income taxes. It would likely be 2017 because you will need them once the I-129F is approved. You also need her last W-2. If she earns more than $20,500 then you do not need to show any of her assets at all. It would not make a different. Earning enough income is all she needs. She would also need to show proof that she is a US citizen such as her passport or birth certificate. That is all you need from her in terms of documents. She will need to answer some questions such as her place of birth, social security number, employer, position.

I know immigration issues like these can sometimes seem confusing. If at any time you would like to have a more detailed consultation by phone or if you need help with review of your applications, I can send you an offer to exchange contact information so I may help you with these legal services for a reasonable fee. You don't have to decide if you would like that now, but just letting you know it's an affordable option for you to keep in mind for whenever you'd like.

-----------------

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."

Hey she does not have a job she had a lawsuit which is the reason she has the income. Also it does show on her tax return for 2016 and 2017 but she doesn’t have w-2’s. So what would you suggest?
Also since my father owned those businesses
It’s possible for me to get pay stubs that show me working or worked there worst case scenario because I’ve worked there just not on paper and also I’ve never filed taxes since I’m a dependent on my mothers tax returns.

Ah ok, I see.

How much does your mother earn yearly?

On her tax returns only 8,000

Ok .. In that case, either your mother or sister would be fine. Whichever one you chose would have to use their assets. Your mom would have to show that her home is worth at least $62500. She would have to provide paperwork showing an estimate of the current worth/value. Your sister would have to show that her home is worth at least $102,500 because she has no income. She would also need proof of the home's current value. The cars and bikes are not necessary if the home is worth enough.

However, if you have someone else who doesn't have to be related who earns at least $20,500 would be easier and more straight forward.

My moms house is currently worth $265,000 and sisters is worth $715,000 plus a little over 1.2 million in cars and bikes. So, which one do you recommend to be easier?
Also, does it make a difference if I am making that income or if I use a co-sponsor? Because if using a co-sponsor lessens my chance, I would want to get those pay stubs made from our business and family accountant for my dads business. If that makes more sense. But it would be faster to get the co-sponsor information together.

Your sisters is probably better if it's already paid off. She needs to show the deed and prove it's estimated worth. You can try without an official appraisal but if not you may have to do that. That's why using someone's income is sometimes easier.

No, your chances are not lessened by co sponsor. It's the same.

I asked her and she said that she has a joint tax return with her husband who works and they have a joint income

Okay then you have to decide if her husband can be the sponsor since he has a W-2 or if you prefer for your sister to do it alone but you have to prove the worth of the house. It's more difficult.

I hope this helps and hope you can kindly leave a good rating.

Best of luck.

He has the i form not w2

You can decide whether to use your sister or her husband.

Since there together would it matter

Yes you have to pick one.