Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I applied for card renewal on Feb 2017 and t was approved.

Customer Question
I applied for green...

I applied for green card renewal on Feb 2017 and t was approved. However, in the process, I changed my address and notified INS. I received a letter in July stating that the card will be sent to card production and will be mailed in the new address. I waited but no card in the mail. I inquired few times and I was given different information. Then two weeks ago, I finally found out what happened. I was given a USPS tracking number and when I inquired, the green card was mailed to my old address on July 21 but whoever received it did not return the mail to sender. I was told by INS that I need to re-apply. My card is already expired and INS told me that it will be stamped for an extension. The sad part is that I need to pay another filing fee. I have financial difficulties and only receive $850 from my soc security. How can I waive the filing fee and will my case qualify for it? Please help me. Thank you very much.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

Only the previous application last Feb 2017.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

The lwayer is charging me $500 plus the filing fee

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think that's the bulk of my problem. Thank you

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
11/20/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an Immigration Law attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

I'm so sorry to hear this happened.

Are you being asked to resubmit an I-90 form?

Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

I'm not sure if you received my prior response to your question?

I want to let you know that yes, you can file for a fee waiver in order to avoid paying the fee again here.

To apply for the fee waiver you'll have to fill out and submit Form I-912.

You can find the form and instructions here:

https://www.uscis.gov/i-912

If you qualify, ie. if your income falls below a certain amount, depending on your household size, then you should be be able to get your I-912 approved and the fee waived.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!