Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Do I need to renew my Green Card if it was issued between…

Do I need to...

Do I need to renew my Green Card if it was issued between 1979 and 1988 but does not have an expiration date?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just want to know the process how to pursue for Green card I cheked at American Immigration website but could not find appropriate direction

11/19/2017
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if it is bad news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

Does the card say Form AR-3, Form AR-103 or Form I-151 anywhere on it?

I do not know why you are not responding, but you are not charged per question, per response, nor per answer. So after I give you my answer, you can continue to ask me questions without additional charge until you are satisfied. I apologize if it is a site issue that you posted and the post did not go through.

Hi Guillermo,It’s I-151

Hello. That's a shame. If the green card does not say Form AR-3, Form AR-103 or Form I-151 anywhere on it, either the front of the back, then you do not need to renew it. Since it does say I-151 on it, that card needs to be renewed. You would file an I-90 to renew it. Here is a link:

http://www.uscis.gov/i-90

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Hi n thanks for providing the link .
But in that form I dont see the my case on page 2, part 2. I don’t belong to any of mentioned categories. Please see the attached and advise.

Part 2 you mark 1.a. because you are a Lawful Permanent Resident and then in Section A you mark 2.j because you have a prior edition of the Alien Registration Card.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

Okay, thanks.
Just to brief you a little more about my case , I was born in Pakistan, then got green card at age of 4-5, we visited US to collect our card stayed their for short while n came back to Pakistan. Now I’m 35 want to get my card renewed, is that okay ?

Sure, I can continue to help you, just please remember that the positive rating for me is VERY important or the website does not compensate me. You are not charged again, so it costs you nothing to leave a positive rating for me.

Anyway, you mean you have been living basically all your life outside of the U.S.? Have you lived at all in the U.S. since you left at age 4 or 5? You may have abandoned your green card by not living in the U.S. They call it RESIDENCY because you are supposed to be residing in the U.S. to maintain it.

now if willing to get my residency in US is it possible, or I won’t be eligible or there will be some term n conditions. I have US valid visa though n have been visiting from past 4years .

How long have you been outside of the U.S. without coming back?

Went to US in 88/89 for residency, then went back in 2013 or 14. So had a long gap in between. But now my visa will expires in 2018 June . That’s why thinking to get my residency renewed.

What visa? If you have a green card, you don't need a visa. Or did you make matters worse by applying for, receiving, and using a B-2 tourist visa?

Since green card was not valid so I applied for business visa n got 5 years visa n have been traveling to US FRIM LAST 4yeras on that.

They aren't supposed to renew your green card. Why? Because you abandoned it, unfortunately. A Lawful Permanent Residency is for someone that intends to permanently reside in the U.S. and is actually doing so. Not for someone that is just coming to the U.S. to visit from time to time.

Anyone that is a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) and is outside of the U.S. for 180 days or more within any 12 month period (not necessarily calendar year) creates a rebuttable presumption of abandonment of residency. That presumption can be rebutted by evidence to the contrary such as filing U.S. taxes, maintaining a home in the U.S. and paying that mortgage or rent, maintaining a U.S. drivers license, U.S. bank accounts with significant movement, etc.

Someone that has been outside of the U.S. for more than 1 year without first having an approved re-entry permit has abandoned their residency and only in very few exceptions (such as serious illness) can they get it back.

Here is an official link:

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/maintaining-permanent-residence

I am truly sorry, but when you try to renew that green card or if you try to use the old one, they are supposed to deny it. They would probably let you into the U.S. but place you in Removal Proceedings for deportation where you can explain it to a judge, but because you have spent so much time outside of the U.S. and you have used a tourist/business visa instead of the Residency, I do not believe that you will be able to convince any judge that you did not abandon your Residence. Again, I am truly sorry. I wish I had better news for you. I am logging off now because it is 1am for me. If you have other questions for me, I will have to get to them later.

Thanks, ***** ***** you later.

M pleasure.

I applied for visa because I had an important meeting and didn’t had enough time to struggle with residency process to make sure I don’t miss my appointment with my client I applied for visa. Now I want to apply for residency to move to US permanently due to bad law n order situation in Pakistan, my parents applied for residency I was too young at that time now I’m adult n can plan my future therefore want to get that residency thing renewed so that I can move to US. Please advise if there is any possibility to make it happen.
Thanks

My friend, it doesn't matter the reason. When you stayed out of the U.S. longer than 1 year without a Re-Entry Permit, you abandoned your Residency and to add to that evidence, you applied for a visa. So there really isn't a way for you to convince an immigration judge that you did not abandon your Residency by act and deed. Even arguing that it was your parents' fault because you had no control, at 18, you had control. I am truly sorry. You can always apply for a new green card if you have the avenue, like you are married to a U.S. Citizen.

you mean if I would not have had applied for visa then I had a chance to get it renewed

No, not at all. You have been gone MUCH too long. That you applied for a visa just makes it a little worse, but it as VERY bad anyway. Unless you were in a coma in a hospital for all of those years, I don't see a way for you to reclaim the Residency status.

Seriously, there must be a some way out to it, you are lawyer I’m sure you can come up with some sort of solution to this.