Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

If i have an i9 and said i was a united states citizen,and…

Ok if i have...

Ok if i have an i9 and said i was a united states citizen,and im trying to get my green card whats the next step.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Did you understand my question.

Answered in 1 minute by:
11/19/2017
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if it is bad news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

This may be bad news. When was this false claim to U.S. Citizenship made? Was it before September 30, 1996 or after?

after 1996

That's a shame. Please do not shoot the messenger for the bad news that I have to give you. Unfortunately, if it is discovered that you made this claim, you are inadmissible to the U.S. with no waiver. Take a look at this official link:

https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/Print/PolicyManual-Volume8-PartK.html

Here is a good article that explains the very few options that you have:

http://asianjournal.com/immigration/the-immigration-effect-of-false-claims-to-us-citizenship/

I am truly sorry. I wish I had better news for you. Hopefully one of those few options will be available to you because if not, you will not be able to Adjust Status.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.