Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I entered USA with my father with R2 and I turned 21 after…

Customer Question
I entered USA with...

I entered USA with my father with R2 and I turned 21 after the first year. Unfortunately the one who filed for me made a mistake and added me to my father. So I was denied but by the time the denial letter came, my R2 had expired. Which means I lost my status. Meanwhile I am an undergraduate student and will be left with one semester to graduate in May. My six months grace expires in January. What options do I have to renew my status?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

Not yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes, I have talked to a lawyer and she suggests that my only option is to file for F1 and return to my home country for interview. But my apprehension is what about if I am refused or delayed to complete my final semester in January 2017.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Since the only reason for denying me green card was the fact that it was wrongly filed, can i filed for green card again? What else can i do without returning to my home country so that i can stay and complete my last semester?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
11/19/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney replied 7 months ago
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if it is bad news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

I am unclear about your situation. What is your current status? You were on F-1 and filed to change to R-2 but were denied or you were on R-2 and were denied F-1? Please clarify. Thank you.

Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney replied 6 months ago

I do not know why you are not responding, but you are not charged per question, per response, nor per answer. So after I give you my answer, you can continue to ask me questions without additional charge until you are satisfied. I apologize if it is a site issue that you posted and the post did not go through.