Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

What are the responsibilties of a co-sponsor for a resident…

Customer Question
What are the responsibilties...

What are the responsibilties of a co-sponsor for a resident alien

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

Yes for my brother's wife,she already has been a resident for two years

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No,do I need to

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Her and my brother have separated for over a year,she has refused to work for even one day and he is paying for house rentsl,utiliteis,food,groceries,etc. she kick him out of the house a year and half ago.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
11/19/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions. I am reviewing it and will post your answer momentarily.

Welcome to JustAnswer! I have 34 years experience as an immigration attorney and I am here to help resolve your immigration issue. Tackling these issues can sometimes get confusing. Should you need to chat on the phone or document review, I am able to do that for an additional cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested.

I am not clear on who is he, she and the joint sponsor.

If you are referring to your brother's wife having been petitioned by him then both he and the joint petitioner are liable for any means tested benefits she may collect from the government, such as housing subsidy, food stamps, medicaid, etc.

Further under divorce laws, the court can take the Affidavit of Support into consideration is deciding whether to award her spousal support.

See this link

http://www.i-864.net/suing-on-the-i864-affidavit-of-support/

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. I appreciate this opportunity to help you. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating. If you are very satisfied with my answer please take a moment to click on the 5 stars at the top of the page. The question thread remains open and you can ask follow-up questions.

Judith

May I answer anything further for your rating?

Judith