Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I have 82kg of gold in Ghana trying to bring it to Canada.

Customer Question
I...

I have 82kg of gold in Ghana trying to bring it to Canada. what di I need permits?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nothing

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
11/18/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. People who ask this question are typically involved in an online romance and the gold is her supposed inheritance. Is that your situation?

Ghana is a very poor third world country, but the country does have gold mines. Gold can be shipped from Ghana, but the government strictly controls how, when and to whom. One must make arrangements with the Ghana government to send gold abroad. It all must go through Ghana's PMMC, a Ghanaian government agency that regulates gold exports. The government of Ghana vets the gold and turns it over to a licensed exporting agent who then conveys the gold out of the country. Only the Ghana government can export gold and the government itself must send it only to a verified exporter that it vets.

You can read a bit more about this here:

citifmonline.com/2016/07/13/minerals-commission-develops-guidelines-for-gold-export/

Any other way of gettiing gold out of Ghana is gold smuggling, a very serious criminal offense. If you're being told otherwise by an online romance, you're the victim of a romance scammer.

If your gold is legitimate, you need to contact the Ghana High Commission in Canada. They can tell you the regulations for bringing gold over from Ghana. Their website, unfortunately isn't searchable. But you can see what it entails from the Ghana Embassy in Japan which lays the exportation process out here.

www.ghanaembassy.or.jp/business_info/gold-diamond.html

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.