Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

There’s a lady in Ghana who I’ve met on line and she’s from…

Customer Question
There’s a lady in...

There’s a lady in Ghana who I’ve met on line and she’s from Belgium but working in Ghana she says for the ngo she says she needs 3000 cash In hand before they will let her leave is this true and how can I see if this is legit, a Kelli Harman contacted me yesterday say he worked for the us embassy for Ghana and gave me a case number ***** her he was in the state of Washington even sent a email to me how can I verify all this?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

You mean where I’m at in the USA?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Does it cost me anything?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/18/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an Immigration Law attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

Unfortunately I do have to let you know that yes, this is an ongoing scheme.

You should not send any money to this person.

This is part of an ongoing scheme, where an individual in Ghana builds a romantic relationship with someone online, and then purports to need money to pay taxes to leave the country, to pay taxes to have family gold shipped to the US, or to pay taxes to get out of jail where they are being held unlawfully for trying to leave and join you in the US.

There is in fact no tax required to leave Ghana.

The Ghana authorities are aware of this scam and have attempted to make it known on certain Ghana travel websites, etc.

Other individuals in the US who have been victims of similar scams have also notified the FBI about it.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news here, but fortunately you're learning this before sending any money overseas.

Unfortunately the US does not have jurisdiction to pursue this in Ghana, so any money you send would be lost without the ability to recover it.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!