Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I just got married to a US citizen and planning on applying…

Hello! I just got married...
Hello! I just got married to a US citizen and planning on applying for a change of status to Permanent Residency.If I apply on December 1st, how long after should I expect to have the in person interview? I know it varies case to case, but I was wondering, around this time of the year, how long I should expect you to wait in general.Thanks in advance!
11/18/2017
Nisha Jones

Good evening, I am an Immigration Law attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

What is your current immigration status?

F1 student on OPT.

Thanks for the additional information.

You can expect the processing time until your interview to range anywhere between 5-10 months.

It's not any different for this time of year specifically, that is the standard range processing time for an adjustment of status.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Thanks for the information. I’ve had friends who applied for status adjustment. He received his interview within three months after he applied. Is his case common? Thank you!

The general range is between 5-10 months for an interview, but yes it is possible that you could receive your interview in less time.

I hope that helps!

Please take a moment to leave a positive rating for me, 5 stars are always appreciated, thanks!

Nisha Jones
Thank you! I gave you 5 stars :)

Thanks! You're welcome, no problem! If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. I'd be happy to help. Best of luck to you, take care!

Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones