Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

I received the card in 2005. Since then I have been overseas

Hello !!! I...
Hello !!! I received the green card in 2005. Since then I have been overseas up to date . I went back every year to USA and in 2011 I was requested by immigration to apply for two years exception to entry USA. The rational was that I was not being enough time inside USA as required. Since then , I was not able to go back to USA anymore. I think , obviously , that I lost the green card due to this absent from USA. How I can confirm that the green card has been revoked and do I need to fill the I-407, Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status with the USA Embassy in Saudi Arabia Riyadh
JA: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?
Customer: ,No
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Nio
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/18/2017
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good evening, I am an Immigration Law attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Yes, unfortunately with an absence away from the US that long, your permanent residency would be considered abandoned.

You're not required to fill out the I-407; however if you do intend to re-apply for your green card or another visa to the US, then you will be required to first submit the I-407 before you can submit another visa or residency petition.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Thanks .... I will be waiting
I am planning to visit USA in 2018 .... So...from your answer I need to go to the USA Embassy and summit the I-407 form , get it stamped from the Embassy and then apply for a entry visa as tourist
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
It this conclusion correct ? I will proceed to request an appointment with the Embassy to proceed with needed tasks.....please confirm

Yes, that's correct.

You need to submit the I-407 to the US embassy.

After that, you'd be able to apply for a tourist visa.

I hope that helps!

​Please take a moment to leave a positive rating for me, 5 stars are always appreciated, thanks!

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Thousand Thanks .... I will proceed as discussed

You're welcome, no problem! If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. I'd be happy to help. Best of luck to you, take care!

Please remember to click 'Finish' and leave a positive rating so that I can be credited for my help with your question. 5 stars are always appreciated, thanks!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer