Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My father naturalized in the early 90's when I was 14 years…

My father naturalized in...

My father naturalized in the early 90's when I was 14 years old. I'm a green card holder since 1981. My question is do I need to file n400 or can I file n600 to become us citizen?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Not yet

11/18/2017
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if it is bad news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

What is your date of birth? What date did your father naturalize? You were in his legal and physical custody when he naturalized?

my birth date is 2/2/79 he naturalized am not sure of the date but some time in 1991-1993
I was in his custody

Take a look at this link:

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/pressrelease/ChildCitizenshipAct_120100.pdf

As you can see at the bottom of the first page and the top of the second page, the law is not retroactive, so since you were over 18 in 2001, it looks like you will have to file an N-400 to apply for Naturalization.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.