Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

I sponsored my husband almost five years ago through

marriage. After he received his...
I sponsored my husband almost five years ago through marriage. After he received his final green card he began to verbally and emotionally abuse me. He has made some threats by pointing his finger as if he has a gun when I brought up his changed demeanor. I would like to stop the citizenship process because I now know based on the verbal exchanges that he married me only to get legal status. He lives in my home however he only assisted with utilities in the home. Of late, he has refused to pay any of the utilities after I refused to put his name on my deed. I do believe his is a threat and is going to file a PFA. What options do I have for dissolution of the marriage since I believe its fraudulent.
11/18/2017
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Thank you!

You are allowed to legally dissolve the marriage (divorce) him immediately if you please. You have no legal obligation to stay married to him right now, or ever if you do not wish to. Whenever you like, you can file for dissolution of marriage for him in your state alone or through an attorney. If he already has a permanent green card, then it will not be taken away from him due to the divorce however. He will still remain a permanent resident.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Why would he be allowed to retain his green card if I have proof he married me just to get legal status?

If you would like to try to get his green card revoked, that would be something separate. You could definitely report him to Homeland Security Investigations and let them know about all the reasons you believe he used you and any evidence you have. They would investigate and decide whether to revoke his green card or not. You can report him here 1-***-***-****

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney